Saturday, September 25, 2010

Gollum . . . mentally ill?

Note: A post from my other blog that I thought you might find interesting. Biblical counseling\nouthetics, by the way, is an evangelical form of therapy that among other things, argues that most mental illness is the result of sin.

I really wonder why there has to be a study about this. While professional therapists are debating Gollum's psychological deviancies, real life evangelicals are being exorcised by deliverance ministers and nouthetically confronted by biblical counselors. That being said, I don't really have a position on Gollum's mental illness or lack thereof. I think it's rather silly to apply psychotherapeutic techniques to a literary character. I do wonder, however, what the nouthetic diagnosis of Gollum would be? Doesn't bear thinking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment