Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Creation of the Humanoids


Creation of the Humanoids is an early sixties film, reputed to have been Andy Warhol's favorite picture (what a recommendation!). Really, though, this is a fascinating movie. Some of its speculations on A.I. were so advanced that it would take till A.I. (1998 or so), before Hollywood would again interrogate the issue of artificial intelligence so deftly. There is definitely a Phillip K. Dick-like fascination here with what separates man from machine. The movie also predicts that artificial intelligence will become the civil rights issue of the future, with the Order of Flesh and Blood violently oppressing the A.I. population. Some people have criticized the sets and special effects. Frankly, I love them myself, because they kind of remind me of that retro-future look so popular in the sixties. But please, check it out for yourself. It's a great movie that pulls no punches in its explorations of the boundaries between men and machines (and the film actually appears to side with the latter, to my great approval.).

No comments:

Post a Comment