Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Max Headroom: Anti-Corporate Rabblerousing

I just finished watching the complete Max Headroom series over a period of three days. I can't believe how good the series was! Impeccable writing and cynicism that is nearly a match for Blake's 7 makes Max Headroom one of the best sci-fi series I have ever seen, perhaps the best. The cyberpunk elements of the series are of course great, but what is truly distinctive is how the series used the character of Max to both gain and yet subvert its own advertisers. The set design on the series is absolutely phenomenal, and Max has proved to be a far more reliable barometer of the future then series like STNG. Practically every prediction made in the series has come true in some sense, and some of its warnings about cyberterrorism seem particularly prescient in an era dominated by spin-controlled media who seek to shut down organizations like Wikileaks. I feel so greatful I've had the opportunity to watch this show. It's the only series I've seen that goes beyond Blake's 7 in its attacks on corporate and media manipulation of working class and middle class populations (of which I am a member). I hope to include future entries on Max Headroom, as well as on Firefly, which I have also just finished. Hopefully, some Outer Limits reviews will also be coming your way as well.

Note: I'm still hard at work on the Encylopedia project. Here's the Dialogue breakdown

Babylon 5 (full), original BSG (full), Firefly (full), Max Headroom (full), new BSG (all but the last season and one episode of the 3rd), Farscape (slightly less than half way), Outer Limits (a little more than halfway full), Doctor Who (about 30 episodes done), Twilight Zone (complete), STNG (complete), TOS (complete), Space 1999 (complete), DS9 (about 3 seasons worth), Earth 2 (fully recorded), Blake's 7 (fullly recorded)

Series I have access to that have not been dialogue recorded: UFO, Buck Rogers, Torchwood, Alien Nation, The Prisoner, Hyperdrive, Red Dwarf, Dollhouse (VOY and DS9 I have access to scripts)

Series I soon hope to purchase: Space Precinct and\or Stargate SG-1

As I've said before, I'm going through each series and recording dialogue that deals with political, social, economic, religious, or philosophical issues. Some series, like SG-1, I'd prefer not to watch, so if anyone wants to take those ones over, it'd be a blast. This dialogue recording process has gone relatively well, and I'm hoping to eventually add Stargate Atlantis, Enterprise, Earth Final Conflict, and Andromeda to it, though I don't know that I will tackle the Japanese series myself (not because they are bad, but just because I don't know Japanese culture well enough to comment on them intelligently). Lost In Space is another one I should perhaps tackle.

No comments:

Post a Comment