Friday, March 18, 2011

Working Class Sci-Fi Narratives

I recently finished Marge Piercy's Woman on the Edge of Time, an above average sci-fi (or at least potentially sci-fi) novel about a Hispanic woman (Connie) who periodically comes into mental contact with a future Utopian society. The novel is compelling because it is one of the few sci-fi novels I've read that reads like the working class narratives of the early 20th century: Martin Eden, Mcteague, Sister Carrie, etc. It still shocks me how few sci-fi novels feature working class protagonists or situations. There's Clockwork Orange, Woman on the Edge of Time, Iron Heel, and one or two novels from Ian Banks and Kim Stanley Robinson. Overall, however, the genre seems devoted to upper class scientists and politicians, or soldiers whose identity is safely nebulous. Some series, like Battletech and Star Trek, are particularly notorious for giving an overall middle class vision of the world, with very little emphasis placed on working class experience. Though I sometimes think Marge Piercy occasionally slips into excesses of politically correct rhetoric, I still admire her faith in her working class character, and her painful attention to making Connie appear as realistic as possible. Woman on the Edge of Time is a feminist novel I can at least relate to, which is more than I can say for Toni Morrison, Alice Walker, or Margaret Atwood. I suggest you check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment