Monday, July 12, 2010

Holoaddiction

This is from a Brit tabloid, but I'm pretty sure it's true, as I heard about it several years ago. My students four years ago thought I was more than a bit nuts when I warned of the possibilities of virtual sex getting out of hand, including the possibilities of online pedophilia, rape of virtual characters, etc. Having done enough research into transhumanism, I knew that more than likely I would be unfortunately proved right, and sure enough, its happened. Japanese gaming companies now sell rape simulators like Rapelay, which have provoked outrage in the west.
With all that being said, it begs a question about the holodeck? Does it have an ESRB rating? And should it? The most obvious danger of the holodeck is that it would allow people to act out ANY thought or fantasy. Imagine a Nazi sympathizer in the 24th century, reenacting the Shoah? Or a white separatist reenacting slavery? There is literally no limit to what can be done with the holodeck, and that is the direction current computer and A.I. technology is taking us. Can we really trust a machine that makes any fantasy come true, that allows any desire to be fulfilled? I for one, am a little reluctant to play God to my A.I. creations. I hope the rest of the human race agrees with those sentiments. Otherwise, Reginald Barclay is going to be doing a little more than kissing Counselor Troi on the holodeck . . . if you know what I mean!

3 comments:

  1. I wonder how thereputic it would be. If a person that had said desires were to use the holodeck to entertain those same desires would it revlieve the impulse or encourage it. I know serial killers tend to do more the longer they are at it and start taking more risks, so I am thinking games and the holodeck that allow those behaviours would eventually lead to more crimenal activities in those areas as the holodeck would not be risky enough after a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, I think sex crimes would probably go up, as well as other crimes. I'm not one of these people who believes we should murder all pedophiles cause we can't "cure" them, but letting them indulge in this kind of virtual child rape doesn't sound very ethical either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember an episode of Star Trek: Deep Space 9 where a guy asked Quark to make a holographic replica of Major Kira Nerys to fulfill own sick sexual fantasies. Your moral objections as to the ethical limits related holodeck if such technology was invited are correct

    ReplyDelete