Thursday, January 27, 2011

RPGS and Fundamentalists

I am writing a play called "Fundamentalists in search of an RPG", about a young man trying to leave his culture and using RPGs as the method. The whole fundamentalist objection to RPGs has always interested me. I nearly wasn't able to play RPGs as a kid because of anti-RPG prejudice on the part of one of my grandmothers. Later on, my school banned a kid from bringing an early version of WOW to school, while simultaneously letting my brother and I enchant our classmates with Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game. Evangelical reactions to RPGS can often take on rather extreme overtones, with some players even being physically threatened during the height of the RPG scares of the early eighties. In case you guys are interested in this topic, I urge you to check out this article.

1 comment:

  1. I remember all the hubbub but living in NYC with completely secular parents I just laughed at the fanatic nonsense and played D&D anyway. I was mostly playing in late 80s and early 90s and it had died down some by then.

    ReplyDelete