Thursday, January 20, 2011

Teaching Queer-friendly Sci-fi and Literature

This semester I have incorporated two quite LGBT-friendly texts, Corpus Christi and Wicked. Both of them are going to be a challenge to teach. Corpus Christi is a play that transposes Christ's passion to a bunch of gay men living in 1950's Texas. I'm not claiming it's great art (it's also not bad art either), but it is the only prominent work of literature that has addressed Christ's life from a queer perspective. I'm interested in seeing how my students respond to it. I'm not trying to brainwash them into blindly accepting a pro-LGBT position, but I do want them to think about the potential consequences of some of the rhetoric currently directed towards the gay community.
Wicked, I've already posted on. But it's one of a series of texts that I would like to incorporate into a course called "The Wizard of Queer," about LGBT-oriented sci-fi and fantasy. Wicked and at least one work by Samuel Delany, would be my first choices. Do you guys have any other suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment