Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Demons and Science Fiction

One thing I really hate is the use of demons, devils, etc. in science fiction novels and films. I am a religious person, but I think the idea of a personal devil is poisonous nonsense that hurts people. Yet in popular TV programs like Charmed, movies like the Exorcism of Emily Rose, and even an occasional Doctor Who, features these figures. People do not realize that real people suffer exorcisms and are even killed, because of the belief in demons. In Africa, hundreds of children have been hunted down and slaughtered in Pentecostal-inspired witch hunts. Therefore, using demons in popular sci-fi, while not sacrilegious, only inspires certain extremist sects of Pentecostalism and other religions to go out and kill some more people. Or cleanse them of their anorexia (Mercy Ministries Australia), or expel demons through farting (Restoring the Foundations, I kid you not). I'm all for a mythological religion, but that might be taking things a bit too far.

3 comments:

  1. Being raised in NYC essentially agnostically I don't naturally tend to have your initial instincts/reactions. When I moved to TN I was amazed at the Christian-speak and magical thinking that still goes on down here. Although I've been in TN for 6 years it is still weird to me when I see it.

    While I hear your objections, mine are aesthetic. I am very bored with the entire God/Devil, angel/demon mythology when it comes to my fantasy fiction consumption. The entire framework is utterly dull and has been done to death to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Childhood's End is a good juxtoposition.

    Having visited Salem this weekend, I was reminded first hand of the dangers of seeing devils and demons everywhere.

    I do believe in evil. Man is evil enough that he deosn't need a demon possession to influence his actions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the demon thing has largely been done to death as well. I think my concern is that there are real life consequences to belief in demons, consequences that kill hundreds of people a year through botched exorcisms or deliberate child murder (as in Africa, where children are murdered through exorcisms, while the govt. does nothing about it). I find this reprehensible. I realize occassionally this symbology can be effective, as in Childhood's End, but it's rare.

    John

    ReplyDelete