Monday, October 11, 2010

What sci-fi class would you like?

So, I've thought of a number of sci-fi classes to teach eventually, and I wanted to throw the reading lists by you guys:

Science Fiction and Religion: Dune, Case of Conscience, Speaker for the Dead, Canticle of Leibowitz, Hyperion, Fall of Hyperion

Science Fiction and Politics: Neuromancer, Dune, Dune Messiah, That Hideous Strength, Anthem, 1984, Clockwork Orange.

Dystopian Fiction: 1984, Clockwork Orange, After Dachau, Handmaid's Tale, Anthem, Children of Men.

What do you guys think of these lists? Obviously, they lean slightly in the religion direction and perhaps pay too much attention to fascism, a phenomena I have only begun studying again over the last 2 years (I did study it a lot in high school and undergraduate studies as well). I also have a great fondness for the Dune series as a political instruction tool, hence its (potential) overemphasis. Tell me what you think. I might post again on this topic later this week.

Note: Posts may be a little more infrequent for a while, as I am now working two jobs. I plan to continue running the blog though.

3 comments:

  1. I'm far from an expert but I don't see any books out of place.

    Others to contemplate:

    Politics: Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, Red Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanley Roberts.

    Dystopian: Brave New World by Aldous Huxley,

    My favorite book of all time is The Illuminatus Trilogy which is an absurdist political speculative fiction, detective mishmash. Here's the wiki on it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Illuminatus!_Trilogy

    That's all I have for now. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Starship Troopers could also be included in the politacal class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys. Yea, I've taught Starship Troopers before. I had heard of the Illuminatus Trilogy, but I'll have to check it out. I'm not really as good with modern science fiction novels as with canonical science fiction. I also tend to need singletons rather than trilogies, except in the case of Dune.

    Hope you both are well.

    John

    ReplyDelete