Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Marquis De Sade and Science Fiction

You know it's strange, considering how sadistic some science fiction series are, but I don't know that De Sade has ever been adapted for the science fiction landscape. The one exception to this was the Gor series, a rather sexist seventies and eighties series that emphasized masculine domination and dominance hierarchies. Frankly, I'm not a big fan of De Sade's philosophy (though perhaps I should not say that, as I have only encountered him second-hand, not directly through his works), and if Gor is any indication, I probably would do well to stay away. On the other hand, the obvious sadomasochistic themes in books like Starship Troopers, Lord of the Rings, and pretty much everything Charles Williams and C.S. Lewis ever wrote, makes me wonder how much one can really keep out one's inner De Sade, especially men. On the other hand, I frankly feel watching DeSadian inspired films, such as Hostel and Salo, often dehumanizes people, even when, as in the case of Salo, the writers are politically, rather than sexually, motivated.

No comments:

Post a Comment